PART TIME SINGING GROUP LEADERS WANTED!
Do you have what is takes to engage a group of people, teach them a song and get them feeling great, laughing and singing?
If so, you could be a part-time Sing Your Pain Away singing group leader!
Group singing is really beneficial to our wellbeing, and has been scientifically proven to provide a wealth of physical and mental health benefits, including:
•Reducing pain (singing releases endorphins, the body’s natural pain killer)
•Reducing stress (singing has been proven to lower cortisol levels)
•Lifting our mood
•Promoting deep breathing (great for managing anxiety or lung conditions)
•Lowering blood pressure
•Making us feel better!
In fact one recent study showed that group singing is as beneficial to our health as yoga!
Sing Your Pain Away run group singing classes and workshops focusing on singing for wellbeing, health and fun. With equal amounts of singing and laughter, the aim is to promote wellbeing, not get everything note perfect.
We are currently looking for a freelance singing group leader to run our HENLEY-ON-THAMES class. This group currently meets on Thursdays at 11am-12pm, although there is the potential to change this to accommodate the new leader, subject to finding a day/time that would suit the current members and where there is venue availability.
There is also the option for the new leader to run additional classes and/or adhoc workshops in the future, as well as becoming part of our pool of cover teachers, providing holiday and sickness for other Sing Your Pain Away leaders.
The structure we have in place means you can focus on the enjoyable part – i.e. delivering the class - without having to worry about admin, music selection or purchase, creating lesson plans, managing payments or marketing, all of which are handed centrally.
This is such a satisfying role for someone who is passionate about delivering inclusive, community music to promote health and wellbeing and works really well for a self employed person who enjoys having a portfolio of part-time jobs.
* You don’t need to have run a choir or singing group before, but you do need to be a competent singer, who can read music, learn new songs quickly and teach some basic singing technique, but don’t need to have a teaching qualification or a music degree.
* Personality is the most important thing: You need to be charismatic, enthusiastic, energetic, outgoing, happy, fun and passionate about music in the community, music for wellbeing and inclusivity. You must be able to get a room full of people buzzing and laughing, through the use of group singing.
* You don’t need to be able to play the piano or bring a keyboard, as backing tracks can be supplied for all our music if necessary. You will need a laptop or phone through which you can play the backing tracks and a speaker to amplify them.
* Most of our members are non-musicians, and are at our classes to enjoy the health and wellbeing benefits of singing. So you must be happy for songs to not be note perfect, as the class ethos is all about singing for wellbeing, not musical perfection. If you love to perform, compete or reach the highest musical standard, this role is probably not for you.
* We have members aged from 25 to 90 and many of our members are retirees. You must therefore have good rapport with people of this age group including people who have long-term health conditions.
You will also need to have, or be able to obtain, a clean up to date DBS check.
Full training will be given and I as the founder will be supporting the new group leader in person at all their early classes. As such I would welcome enquiries from enthusiastic and charismatic singers, even if you have not had experience before in this type of role.
For more details please contact me, Jane Gatfield, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org